It might have take me a month or so to notice, but my slow and steady closet purge pre-move was pretty immense. I'm not saying that I'm really lacking in anything (because that would be a lie), but trying to figure out what I want (or not) during all these Fall sales has been a huge pain in the butt. Not only am I having a hard time visualizing what I want to look like, I'm also not liking anything that's currently "in style", which wouldn't annoy me except that it's everywhere and making shopping hard.
(If you're interested, the things I don't want include: cold shoulder anything, culottes, cropped flare pants, skater skirts, embroidered jeans or bomber jackets - bomber jackets kind of in general, and crushed velvet. Velvet as a whole I'm also on the fence about, but I really don't like crushed velvet. I know, I know, such a negative Nancy, but I can't help it.)
I'm also having some weird body issues so that's not helping anything, but I'm hoping that if I take some time to think out what I want/what I have that I like, that with the help of Pinterest we can figure this out. Suggestion are always welcome :).
What I Have:
1) Sweaters - generally fitted in a variety of colors and patterns. I love a good sweater, so I'm going to have to fight my urge to buy more.
2) Black Jeans - I have a couple pairs that are officially staples in my wardrobe (I bought mine last year/two years ago, but these are similar ones available now in the same brands - Joe's and ASOS).
3) Booties - I have a love/hate relationship with booties. I love them on pretty much everyone but me, but I've stumbled on a few pairs that I'm not allowing my brain to talk me out of.
4) Twill Jacket - Year after year, despite how popular they were and how desperately I wanted one, I could not find a utility/twill jacket that I didn't hate on myself. They all just seemed overwhelmingly shapeless, which is why I was so surprised at how well this one from Anthropologie fit.
5) Dresses - Not typically something I have to worry about, my wardrobe is, as always, dress heavy, lol.
6) Some random extras, that include my overalls and low top Converse. I still really enjoy both of those, we'll see how often they pop up on the blog/in life, lol. Oh and plaid tops. I hunted down a few more options last year to round out my collection and I still feel really satisfied with what I have. Plus light jackets. That's another area of my wardrobe I was much more deliberate about, and I'm still happy with the results.
What I (think I) Want:
1) Oversized Toppers - I picked up this jacket after all and I'm going to see if my brain can handle it. I want to be that girl in oversized sweaters and jackets, maybe with a half tuck or two, that looks so effortlessly cool. The reality is I'm not that tall or that thin or just not shaped in way where I think this looks good on me, but I'll probably keep an eye out for potential successes.
2) Skirts - I think skirts is possibly the area in my closet I purged the most, and while there are some good spring and summer pieces that escaped unscathed, that's kind of it. I've given up on pencil skirts except for some very specific exceptions because I don't like my stomach or VBL. It's not very body acceptance-y of me, but I'm working on it. So what I really want are some midi length skirts that sit high on my waist and skim my hips, and despite my damnedest the only ones I really love are from Modcloth and expensive. (Top contenders include: one, two, and three. And four if it comes back in stock in my size.)
3) I have no idea. For realsies folks, I have no idea. I'm feeling very blah about the options and have no idea what I'm going to do to change that. I'm thinking that there's some sort of shift happening with parts of my personal style, but I'm finding it really hard to try and communicate what that's going to look like.
And while I'm not usually one to make mood boards, HEY LOOK, Autumnal mood board ahead!
Not particularly sexy or cool, but at least I can say that all the outifts/items/colors here really speak to me.
I'll try to keep you updated on how the hunt guys, but until then I'd recommend you check out Unfancy and her seasonal goals posts. I found the way she thinks our her directions very helpful, and I hope that one day I can be as realistic about how I want my closet to work with my life.